Many of you may remember that a few months back I threw down the gauntlet and embarked on a very scary challenge – one that involved completely cutting out the harmful stuff that was in my kitchen cleaning cupboard – well that was a success and I have changed my mind set and as a bonus saved us a nice little sum of money!
Well, that was just the beginning my friends! As I like a good old challenge I decided that it was high time that I look at the beauty products I use – not that I use a lot it has to be said, but the ones I have been using are full of rubbish!
These past few weeks I have been on a mission – to find ingredients that are organic wholesome and as natural as possible so Livvy and I can start to make our own beauty products….what an amazing eye opening experience! I say it has taken me weeks because as I give you the recipes to make your own eco body/skin products I also want to give you info about the good stuff that makes those products great, this is, well, a little time consuming – but sooooooo worth it!!
I really hope you enjoy reading what goes into these new recipes and even maybe make one or two yourself 🙂
Without any further ado here is the line-up so far:
Mumma Bears Tooth Powder
Mumma Bears Body Fizz
Mumma Bears Shampoo and Conditioner
Mumma Bears Coconut Lavender Whip
As time goes on and Livvy and I create new products we shall of course share them with you…but for now let me take you to Mumma Bears Tooth Powder……
Mumma Bears Tooth Powder
I actually stumbled across this little gem whilst looking for something completely unrelated! I know it sounds pretty weird to use a powder to clean your teeth but both Jon and I are amazed at how brilliantly it works – yeah sure it takes a wee while to get used to it (more from the point of view that it is NOTHING like toothpaste!!) But if you persevere I promise you won’t regret it!! (at all!)
The ingredients that go into making toothpaste have received a bit of a kicking in the press over recent months, now, whether these are truths or half truths are by the by for me…I want to know EXACTLY what goes into the products that I use and be sure that they are safe for me to use – hence the tooth powder 🙂
it’s so simple and easy to make – all the ingredients can be gathered at your local supermarket and health food store. I also think that once you have purchased the bits needed that cost wise, it is far more cost effective than conventional toothpaste – win-win then!! 😀
The recipe below is taken from: http://www.diynatural.com/whitening-tooth-powder/ – in case you have never been to DIY Natural’s website before I urge you to go and have a look – it is full to the brim with awesomeness!
Ingredient’s To Make Your Tooth Powder
2 Tablespoons bentonite clay
2 Tablespoons baking soda/bicarbonate of soda
1 Tablespoon dried, finely ground sage leaf
1 Tablespoon xylitol (optional, for adding sweetness. I have completely left this out of our tooth powder!)
½ Tablespoon sea salt
15-20 Drops of peppermint essential oil
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl using a NON-METAL spoon, then once nicely combined add your drops of peppermint essential oil and stir well again, decant into a glass jar and seal tightly.
How To Use
Simply dip your dry toothbrush into the jar of tooth powder and use as you would conventional toothpaste 😀
For little bit of added wonder skip the toxic laden conventional mouthwash and mix up your own sea salt and water mouthwash like we do!
Now for all those lovely ingredients, what exactly goes into our tooth powder?! Here’s the list!
- Bentonite Clay – Comes from natural volcanic ash sediments, it contains over 70 trace minerals and is thought to be one of the most healing of all the clay’s available to us.
- Sage – Used as a natural tooth whitener. Also is known for it’s anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties.
- Baking Soda/ Bicarbonate of Soda – A fabulous wonder product – been used since ancient Egyptian times (which is amazing!) it is known to kill bacteria, can be used even as an antacid, relieves sunburn and insect bites and is even gentle enough to use on your baby’s nappy rash! Baking Soda is one of the most inexpensive health products that we can get today!
- Sea Salt – Contains trace minerals and is known to help build a strong immune system. Brilliant for relieving dry skin conditions. A funky fact about sea salt – it helps to preserve serotonin and melatonin, the two chemicals that help us to feel good and relax!
- Peppermint Essential Oil – Often referred to as the world oldest medicine, peppermint can be used to treat a variety of issues such as; indigestion, headaches, respiratory problems. Peppermint oil contains numerous minerals and nutrients including manganese, iron, magnesium, calcium, folate, potassium, and copper. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin A and Vitamin C! In dental care, peppermint oil is used for it’s antiseptic properties and helps teeth and gums combat germs.